I have been wanting to create a starburst mirror for sometime and finally got around to creating my own. I wanted to create something simple and rustic. Lately I have been loving a ton of DIY projects on Pinterest that are focused on twigs and branches. Inspired, I set out to craft!
Here are the steps to create your own starburst mirror:
1. Gather Supplies. You will need a high temperate glue gun, tape measure, pruners, 7-10″ mirror, bundle of sticks from any craft store (mine were from Michael’s and were $11)
2. Measure your branches and divide the average by 3. This will be the length of each stick. I tried to keep mine all to a length of around 18.5″.
3. Cut each branch into 3 pieces.
4. Attach something to hang the mirror when it
is complete. I bought a pack of this tags for mirrors at Michael’s for $1.25. I did attach two on top of each other so it would be stronger. Draw guiding lines across the back of the mirror to help you glue the sticks in a strategic fashion. I begin by attaching the thickest sticks at the ends of each point and then moved to the right of each of those.
5. Secure each stick with the hot glue gun and let dry for 1 hour.
6. Place on your wall and use the pruners to even out any branches that look out of place.
All done! This project only took about 45 minutes to put together. I love how the imperfections within the branch lengths add to its character. If I was to attack this project again, I would use wood glue first and then secure with the hot glue. It’s also best to construct on a large flat surface.